Friday, October 10, 2008

The Hard Water Dilemma


In parts of Texas I have heard complaints of hard water bathing. Where the soap just floats. Salt bars work wonders, but what if someone wants a basic soap bar with no salt? I am looking to make soap that will help people with the hardest of water and make them feel good. Does anyone know a good recipe for a hard water environment?

What type of water do you have and what kind of bar works best for you, if you know...?


Any help from you would be help for Central Texas. These are our Hurricane neighbors.

5 comments:

Carrie Garvin said...

We're on well water-both homes. The city water in the area tastes a little "metaly" (is that even a word?)Hope you can find an answer.

Heather@Twin Birch said...

Our water is well water, too. However, we have lots of iron & manganese in our water shed. (I was a water/sewer committee chair for 4 years while on our town selectboard) *geek!* Anyway, I find the simpler the formulation, the sudsier (word?)
my fave combo is olive, coconut, palm...it's sudsy in my shower and soft on the skin. Does that help?


Jo, Thank you so much for your sweet, sweet comments! You made my day. You're such a sweetie! I will be packing up your Vermont Care Package~Fall Without the Darkness edition this week, promise!

Randi Lyn said...

Eeeek... we have hard water here in Vegas. I've not noticed that any particular recipes have been better or worse than others and I've tested dozens... sorry!

Anonymous said...

Borax conditions hard water, and quite a few soap makers include it in their recipes to guarantee suds. It should be available in your local supermarket's laundry aisle.

Blue Aspen recommends 1 tablespoon per 20 oz of water in the recipe.

goodgirl said...

Just starting to read your blog and I am loving it!

Adding citric acid works well for reducing lime soap in the shower and sink but you have to add it to your lye calculation. I heard that sodium bicarbonate softens the water (but I haven't tried it!). Our water is sooo hard you can slay somebody with it ;).