Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ash Tastic


Ashy soap - according to Walton Feed, The soda ash just needs to be rinsed off.

Well , my husband tried my "shave soap" and quickly tell me it was like shaving with soap.  Nice.  So the heaping tablespoon of clay wasn't enough to call it a shave soap.  I also tried it in the shower and shaved my tender legs with it.  It foamed beautifully, but 'tis true - it din't feel any different than a regular soap.

I am not wild about them being unscented because I don't think many people would enjoy that smell.  There IS a smell to my unscented soap.  When a recipe isn't great, gifting them doesn't seem an option.   

Ah, I will power smell the next one and make it colorful.  I have plans... 

10 comments:

Heidi said...

I think your soup looks great even if it doesn't perform like you wanted. I have a horrible problem with ash...its on every batch I make, no matter what little hint I try to stop it.

Michelle said...

Yes, I get ash too but sometimes :( Dunno what it is! Still great soap!

Suds to Love said...

If I put plastic wrap on top of my fresh made soap and it keeps the ash, mostly of, but if I want to try something cool on the top, you don't want plastic wrap squishing the top, it doesn't hurt the soap, so, oh well.

Anne-Marie said...

I agree, the plastic wrap helps or you can just wash the ash off with cold water and a sponge.

Joanna Schmidt said...

Thanks, guys!

Anonymous said...

I've just discovered your blog it's simply GREAT !!!!!! I think I will need several weeks to finish reading all the articles ^^ cool !!

Have a nice afternoon !

c

PS: you are now in my links, the first English-spoken blogger :D

Joanna Schmidt said...

cosmeto, glad to have you! :D

Rurality said...

I use about 1 Tbsp of clay per pound of oils in shaving soap -- can't tell how big your batch is so you could probably add more!

I also add a little extra glycerin - it helps the bubbles last longer.

gracefruit said...

Embrace the ash! :) I like the look of ash on textured soap. It makes the peaks look more interesting, and it gives the textured bits more depth.

I think your soap looks lovely.

Joanna Schmidt said...

Thanks you, Elisabeth!